What is Directional Terms?
Directional Terms: These terms are used to locate various parts of the human body to one another.
The following directional trems are given below:
Types of Directional Terms
- Superior: Upper part of a structure
- Inferior : Lower part of structure
- Ventral (Anterior): Front of the body
- Dorsal (Posterior): Back of the body
- Proximal: Near to point of origin
- Distal: Away from point of origin
- Axial: Relating to an axis, situated in the central part of the body like head, trunk etc.
- Medial: Lying in the middle
- Lateral: on the side
- Ipsilateral : on the side
- Contralateral: on the same side point of the body
- Deep: further from the surface of the body
- Superficial: near to the surface of the body